Winter Slip, Trip & Fall Safety Tips.
It is that time of the season where slips, trips and falls occur at an increasing number. The following are a few safety tips:
- Wear the proper footgear. Remember that no shoe sole material is perfect under all conditions. Shoe soles made of hard plastic or leather and high-heeled shoes are less than ideal, especially during wet weather.
- Take small steps to keep your center of balance under you and extend arms to the side with hands out of your pocket to maintain balance.
- Point your feet out slightly like a penguin to increase your center of gravity.
- Walk slowly and never run on icy ground.
- Avoid carrying loads on stairways.
- Walk in designated walkways and look ahead when you walk.
- Keep walkways clear of debris, water, ice and slippery materials.
- Use floor mats to remove moisture from the soles of your shoes upon entering a building.
- Be aware of your footing and any potential slip, trip or fall hazard that may be present.
- Report slip, trip and fall hazards.
- Use special care when entering and exiting vehicles.
Slip and fall injuries are common but these can be prevented. Have a safe winter!