Health & Wellness for Seniors: Family Caregivers.
Now is the perfect time to start a healthy lifestyle.
Caregivers can help seniors maintain health with proper nutrition, exercise and lifestyle habits.
It is extremely important for Seniors to practice good nutrition. Poor nutrition affects not only the body, but also the mind, energy levels, and can also lead to other health issues. The more caregivers know about nutrition for seniors, the better they will be able to care for them.
- Potassium for blood pressure and to help avoid fatigue and depression.
- Healthy fats to lower chances of heart disease.
- Vitamin B12 for energy and brain function.
- Vitamin D and Calcium for bone health.
Healthy Eating after 50:
- Sugar & Solid fats.
- Eat fish 2x per week.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Limit caffeine & Alchohol intake.
Help Seniors become more active:
- Find something they enjoy.
- Make sure it is geared to their fitness level.
- Start at a level they can manage and work their way up slowly.
- Do exercises at home with them. You can watch online or rent videos at the library and modify as necessary.
Benefits Of Exercise in older age:
- Increases Mental Capacity.
- Prevents Diseases
- Improves Healing
- Increases Balance
Sample Weekly exercise routine for seniors can be found in the full article here: Health and Wellness for Seniors